Carmel studied composition in DIT Conservatory Of Music and Drama under Dr. Gráinne Mulvey, graduating in 2011 with first class honours.
In 2010 she received a scholarship to the Irish Composition Summer School where she received master classes from Kevin O’Connell, Martin O’Leary and Kevin Volans.
In 2018, Carmel’s composition “Nightfall” was chosen as the winning entry in the South Tipperary Arts Centre’s Finding a Voice Composition Competition for Young Women Composers in Ireland and was premiered by Voice trio.
Carmel’s compositions have been performed by DIT Symphony Orchestra, contemporary music ensembles Concorde and ConTempo Quartet, as well as by members of the RTÉ Symphony and Concert Orchestras and include:
- Begin – setting of text by Brendan Kennelly for Mezzo Soprano & Piano
- Believe – Christmas song for various voices
- Cleachtadh – work in two movements for Solo Flute
- From The Shadows – single movement work for Orchestra
- Mo Ghile Mear – SATB choral arrangement of the traditional Irish song
- Nightfall – setting of text by Sara Teasdale for SSA female voices
- Patchwork – String Quartet
- Siúil A Rúin – SSA & SATB choral arrangement of the traditional Irish song
- Siren Song – quartet for Clarinet, Flute, Cello &Violin
- Stars – SSAATTBB choral setting of ‘A Star’ by Patrick Kavanagh
- The Stolen Child – setting of text by WB Yeats for Piano & Voice
Specialising in vocal music and choral arrangements, Carmel writes and arranges much of the repertoire for the vocal ensembles she works with.