Ossia Youth Choir was established in 2011 by Carmel Whelan. The choir rehearses weekly in Clasac, Clontarf each Monday at 7pm, where they are joined by accompanist Bryan Mullen.
The choir is open to children of all musical abilities – no audition is required and no previous experience or sight reading abilities are necessary.
Since its foundation, the choir has been actively involved in many community and charity events. Ossia has had many exciting performance opportunities to date including:
- Amazing Voices in aid of Mental Health Ireland, All Hallows Church, October 2012
- Round The Clock Fashion Show, Clontarf Castle, February 2013
- LIFT Youth Arts Festival, The Helix, March 2013
- Dublin Docklands Festival, December 2013
- Peter McVerry Trust Christmas Carol Concert, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, December 2013
- LIFT Youth Arts Festival, Axis, March 2014
- The Battle of Clontarf Viking Festival, St. Anne’s Park, April 2014
- Derry International Choral Festival, October 2014
- GIFT Christmas Festival, Temple Bar, December 2014
- Pitch Perfect 2 Premiere, Odeon Cinema, May 2015
- Peter McVerry Trust Christmas Carol Concert, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, December 2015
- Ireland AM, TV3, December 2015
- R.A.T.S.S. Showcase, The Gaiety Theatre, January 2016
- Humanitarian Symphony Orchestra Debut, Christchurch Cathedral, April 2016
- Elena Sharkova Choir Festival, Christchurch Cathedral, June 2016
- Dublin To Sitges, Clasac, July 2016
- Creative Connexions Festival, Sitges, Spain, October 2016
- Gardiner Street Gospel Choir Christmas Concert, December 2016
The choir has performed alongside many talented artists from around the world including Mary Black, Roisin O, The High Hopes Choir, Maynooth University Chamber Choir, Gardiner Street Gospel Choir, The Line Up, Fingal Gospel Choir, Del Norte High School Choir, Oregon City High School Choir, Gloria, CIE Male Voice Chorus, Boru, Cantabile Youth Singers, Blessed Sacrament Parish Choir, Humanitarian Symphony Orchestra, Coro Voci Bianche Colli Fiorentini, and many more.
In July 2014, Ossia assisted Music Matters with the recording of their first album, providing backing vocals for several tracks as well as two solo tracks for the album. In October 2016 Ossia travelled to Sitges, Spain where the choir performed as part of “Creative Connexions” – a festival which celebrates and forges links between Irish and Catalan culture.
For further information visit www.ossia.ie